Boots are really familiar to us during this modern era. Many of us have used or are using different types of boots. Ski boots are one kind of boots that are used widely in winter based countries. But before buying these types of boots, one question which comes to our mind is “how long do ski boots last”. Ok then let’s discuss this.
Ski boots are a footwear for winter usually made of leather which is mainly used for ice skating. People usually buy and use it for hobby or entertainment. Lasting of these boots are dependent on the quality of the materials used in it and how it is being used. Ski boots made with cheaper and low-quality material last almost 50-100 ski days whereas more expensive and higher-end ski boots last about 150-200 ski days.
Durability of ski boots can be changed according to the quality materials as well as usage quality. In this case higher-end boots play a durable role as they use longer-lasting foams for the liners. Ski boots with boot liners have a shorter lifespan because the materials are softer and due to this quality they experience more wear as well as tear from your foot.
Main Factors that Affect Ski Boot Performance
The lasting age of Ski boots or the performance of these boots depends on some major factor or elements. These factors are:
- Age of the boots plays a vital role even if they’re not used.
- The total number of skiing days.
- Distance walked on foot without cat tracks or Excessive walking.
- Quality of the boot construction or the quality of the materials.
- Skiers’ weight also has an influence over the ageing of the ski boots.
- Style of skiing- is it more aggressive or not, how usage times of wearing.
- UV exposure.
- Weather conditions.
- How and when they’re stored or due to improper storage.
If these factors are properly maintained then the lasting age of ski boots can be extended. Even good maintenance plays a vital role in extending the lifespan of boots by saving outer layers of the boots from break and crack. And this maintenance shouldn’t be done only in the winter season or after using, it must be maintained all over the year.
When To Replace Your Ski Boots?
Most people replace their skis, not because the boots are old or worn out but because they want to have the latest boots and updated performance. In my point of view, I don’t have much desire to use the latest model. More important to me is to be comfortable and accustomed to anything. That’s why I have never replaced a comfortable boot. However, the average skier replaces their skis every 8 years. After research here are the most common reasons people replace their old boots for new ones.
- Maybe your ski boots are not fitting like before.
- If it gets worn out and can not give better performance as well as before.
- If cracks are found in some places in your ski boots.
- Suppose, your old boots have a softer flex but now you want a stiffer flex for your improved skiing ability.
How to Take Good Care of Your Ski Boots?
Next to your ski jacket, your ski boots are the most important things. So you should take good care of your ski boots. What do you think now? How do you do that? Let’s learn about the best way to take care of your ski boots. Here are some important tips I’ve picked up after much research..
- Wash the liners by hand after each use to allow the air to dry. This will prevent bacteria from building up on the lining and creating odours.
- Wipe down the inside of your boot shells after each use to dry them out and avert mold growth.
- Always keep washing the liners and cleaning the shells.
- You should tend to your ski boots every time you’ve used them to make sure that they’re clean and dry.
- Always avoid walking in your ski socks in the public area of the lodge, including the lobby, lounge, and cafeteria.
- Be aware about potential wear and tear on the toes and heels of your boots.
How long your ski boots last and how often you replace them with the new ones is entirely up to you. If you can use your ski boots with a little maintenance, it will definitely last longer than usual. But after a while it does not have the same functionality as before, so it’s better to replace it with another one.