Yes, hiking shoes can be worn casually. That, too, depends on your definition of casual. You can wear hiking shoes out on a sunny walk down the grocery market. But you’re not gonna wear them to a wedding unless you’re crazy, right?
That being said, if you just got a pair of hiking shoes and are wondering are hiking shoes good for everyday use? This post will answer all your queries and whether you should use them daily.
Let’s get started.
Key Takeaways :
- Hiking shoes can be suitable for regular use.
- They have waterproofing membranes.
- They provide more mileage than casual shoes.
- You can run casually in them.
What’s the Difference Between a Hiking Shoe and a Casual Shoe?
When you hear the word “casual shoe,” a pair of Chuck Taylor’s or Air Forces will come to mind. Which are definitely solid options, but hey, everyone wears those. Let’s stand out from the crowd and look at the key differences between hiking and casual shoes.
|Factors||Hiking Shoe||Casual Shoe|
|Cushioning||Average (can be modified)||Yes|
Hiking shoes are not the most comfortable ones to wear, but multiple factors play into them. Such as
- Traction: It is the resistance to slippery roads. This gives a stiff outsole which comes in handy during hikes. But for casual wear, it might bother some people because of the firmness of the soles.
- Cushion: Let’s be honest; hiking shoes have little to no cushioning. This is not a problem on hikes, but if you’re walking casually, it will bother you and make your feet feel less comfortable. Nonetheless, you can wear socks to add cushioning or just slip in a cushioning pad. They are available in the market and are inexpensive.
Comfort is something you should always look for in a shoe. Whether it’s for hiking or daily usage. Shoes are an investment, so it’s better to be wise while making decisions.
2. Feet Protection
One thing hiking shoes are great at is making your feet feel secure. And the thing that changes the game is ankle support.
- Ankle Support: Hiking shoes will give you better ankle support than most “casual” shoes. It is inevitable. Unless you’re using a pro running shoe, hiking shoes will beat your casual shoe in ankle support.
If you still feel your ankle isn’t protected enough, consider using a Vibram sole, as it is popular with hikers and is better than rubber soles.
Besides, hiking shoes have a more extended tongue than casual shoes, which helps with a secure lacing system.
You get an average of 800-1000 miles from a hiking shoe. Where else you get only 300-500 miles on a casual shoe. 600 if it’s a perfect pair and if you’re lucky.
Considering these, hiking shoes could be significant. But you have to lose some to win some.
Hiking shoes have waterproof systems and membranes built in. While it doesn’t let water get through, the membranes also stop sweat from clogging the hiking shoes.
Most casual shoes are not waterproof, so that’s another reason you might consider a hiking shoe as your pick of poison.
Are Hiking Shoes Good for Everyday Use?
The question we have all been waiting for. Yes, hiking shoes are suitable for everyday use.
Now that we know the essential differences, let’s discuss how they could be great to wear daily.
Hiking shoes are waterproof, so in damp conditions, you don’t have to worry about your feet being wet from water leaking inside. As most hiking shoes have a robust outsole, you can wear them in the snow too.
You can also run in hiking shoes, but the downside will be a slower speed. Running shoes have their own technology to increase the speed of runners while decreasing muscle soreness as much as possible.
Hiking shoes’ job is to provide an enjoyable hike without any injuries. You can go on a casual jog in your hiking shoes, but you won’t feel confident running miles in them.
I mean, we all are pros in our own sectors, right? A doctor can’t take up the job of an architect.
Hiking Boots Good for Work all day, Yeah! That’s more informative and helpful for you, right? Here is an article for you are hiking boots good for work?
Hiking shoes could replace casual shoes if you’re willing to give up design and comfort a bit. Let’s be honest; most hike shoes are not that appealing.
But besides these, they provide excellent protection, have fantastic mileage, and are waterproof! What more could you ask for? Are hiking shoes good for everyday use if you are still confused about this? Yes, they are. 100%.
We hope this clears every doubt.
You Can Also Read Our Related Articles on Hiking Boots:
- How To Wash Hiking Boots In The Washing Machine
- What To Look For In A Hiking Boot – Top 8 Tips And Tricks
- How To Clean Hiking Boots – The Right Way
- How To Choose A Hiking Boot- Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Tie Hiking Boots (The Right Way)